Research Professor, CNRS
Scientific coordinator, LIA CHINEQ
Adjunct Professor, Beijing Normal University (China)
Research Fellow, IZA, Bonn (Germany)
Research Fellow, CIID (China Institute for Income Distribution), Beijing Normal University (China)
Member, IMU Laboratory of Excellence (“Intelligence on Urban Worlds”)
Member, European Research Development Network (EUDN)
Associate Researcher, CEPREMAP Program “International trade and development”.
Fields of interest
Economics of migration
Asian countries (China)
Work in progress / Working papers
- Labour market outcomes of ethnic minorities in urban China, April 2015.
- Family background and income inequality in China, February 2015.
- Remittances and expenditure patterns of the left behinds in rural China, with Wang Xiaoqian.
- Migration and family living arrangements in China, with Li Shi and Xu Hui.
- Internal migration, family living arrangements and happiness in China, with Li Shi and Xu Hui.
- Housing wealth and household consumption : Evidence from China, with Li Yu.
- Intergenerational occupational mobility in rural China, with Xu Hui.
- Earnings gap between migrants and urban residents in China’s labor market, 2002-2013, with Zhang Li.
- Changes in wealth distribution and the impacts on household consumption in China, with Li Shi and Zhu Mengbing.
Migration and families left behind, IZA World of Labor, April 2015.
Left-behind children and return migration in China, with Xu Hui, IZA Journal of Migration, 2015, 4:10.
Volunteer and satisfied ? Rural households’ participation in a payments for environmental services programme in Inner Mongolia, with Adeline Pelletier, Ecological Economics, 2015, 116, 25-33.
Pro-rural policies, income and inequality : Evaluating a cash-for-work program in rural China, with Chen Yu, Asian Economic Papers, 2014, 13(3), 87-114.
Infrastructure in China, in the Oxford Companion to the Economics of China, ed. by S. Fan, . Kanbur, S.-J. Wei & X. Zhang, Oxford University Press, 2014, 348-352.
Migration, remittances and rural employment patterns : Evidence from China, with Li Shi, Research in Labor Economics, 2013, 37:31-63.
Payments for ecological restoration and internal migration in China : The Sloping Land Conversion Program in Ningxia, with Wan Haiyuan, IZA Journal of Migration, 2012, 1:10.
Earnings differentials between the public and private sectors in China : Exploring changes for urban local residents in the 2000s, with Li Shi & Yang Juan, China Economic Review, 2012, 23(1):138-153.
Return migrants : The rise of new entrepreneurs in rural China, with Xu Hui, World Development, 2011, 39(10):1847-1861.
Poverty and firewood consumption : A case study of rural households in northern China, with Martin Fournier, China Economic Review, 2011, 22(4):512-523.
Editorial - Rural Migrants : On the Fringe of the City, a Bridge to the Countryside, China Perspectives, 2010-4. View the Content of the Special Issue.
[Editorial - Les migrants ruraux : en marge des villes, un pont avec les campagnes].
Rural households’ decisions towards income diversification : Evidence from a township in northern China, with Martin Fournier & Yang Weiyong, China Economic Review, 2010, 21:S32-S44.
Migrants as second-class workers in urban China ? A decomposition analysis, with Marc Gurgand, Li Shi & Yue Ximing, Journal of Comparative Economics, 2009, 37(4):610-628.
Discrimination et libéralisation : Les femmes sur le marché du travail dans la Chine urbaine, with Chen Yi & Martin Fournier, Revue Française d’Economie, 2009, 24(1):207-238.
Forest management policies and resource balance in China : an assessment of the current situation, with Hou Yuanzhao & Yang Weiyong, The Journal of Environment and Development, 2009, 18(1):17-41.
The evolution of gender earnings gaps and discrimination in urban China, 1988-95, with Chen Yi & Martin Fournier, The Developing Economies, 2007, 45(1):97-121.
Economic liberalization and rising segmentation in China’s urban labor market, with Martin Fournier, Li Shi & Wei Zhong, Asian Economic Papers, 2006, 5(3):58-101.
Urban income inequality in China revisited, 1988-2002, with Martin Fournier & Li Shi, Economics Letters, 2006, 93(3):354-359.
Economic changes and afforestation incentives in rural China, with Yang Weiyong, Environment and Development Economics, 2006, 11(5):629-649.
Earnings differentials and ownership structure in Chinese enterprises, with Chen Yi & Martin Fournier, Economic Development and Cultural Change, 2005, 53(4):933-958.
Cooperation with the Business School (SEBA), Beijing Normal University
Annual SEBA-GATE workshops :
- Fifth Annual SEBA-GATE Workshop
- Fourth Annual SEBA-GATE Workshop
- Third Annual SEBA-GATE Workshop
- Second Annual SEBA-GATE Workshop
- First Annual SEBA-GATE Workshop
HKUST-CEFC-GATE Conference on Wealth Accumulation and Inequality of Opportunity, 18-19 October, 2013.
Conférences débats GATE-IAO
GATE-CEFC-UIBE China Conference 2007
French Centre for Research on Contemporary China (CEFC)
Past research project : Forest resources protection and local population welfare : Case studies comparison from China.
Chinese workers in the First World War
My own work
- Assistance et éducation des travailleurs chinois pendant la Grande Guerre – Le rôle du Mouvement Travail-Etudes, with Martin Fournier & Annie Au-Yeung, in Les travailleurs chinois en France dans la Première Guerre mondiale, ed. by Li MA, CNRS Éditions, May 2012, 323-343. [in French]
- PPT presentation in English (May 2010) : Assisting and educating Chinese workers in World War I – The role of the work-study movement in the workers’ daily life.
A selection of links to learn more about this particular migration episode and related topics
- May 2010 Conference held in Boulogne-sur-mer and Ypres. May 2012 : Book edited by Li MA (in French), CNRS Editions.
- Chinese Labour Corps platform created by the "Busseboom Group", a Belgian non-profit corporation involved in the CLC commemoration in Belgium in 2010.
- Wikipedia entry for "Chinese Labour Corps".
- Texts and pictures from The War Illustrated, a war magazine published during the 1914-1918 conflict.
- CCTV9 documentary The Chinese Labour Corps in World War One broadcast in 2009 English version - 5 parts.
- On the work-study movement in France : Institut Franco-Chinois de Lyon (in French and in Chinese).
Voir en ligne : Bibliographie / Publications